Sales are to a business what oxygen is to humans! Without generating sales, a company regardless of how digitized it might be will end up closing shop. That is why every entity needs an outstanding sales manager. If you think you have what it takes to take on the role of a sales manager, then you need to keep in mind that the position can be quite rewarding. On the other hand, however, it comes with a lot of pressure as you'll be the fuel behind the entity's success. That said here's what makes a great sales manager.
What is the Role of a Sales Manager?
As stated, the sales manager is imperative to a business's growth. Thus, while their roles vary based on the industry and company they are in, a sales manager's primary responsibility is to direct, oversee, and implement a company's sales policies, goals, and initiatives. This description might sound simple, but there's so much that goes into successfully making it a reality. It involves overseeing the company's growth and all sale activities through
- Setting individual sale targets and then keeping track of each salesperson performance towards these targets
- Creating sales objectives and establishing key performance indicators by forecasting and developing yearly sale quotas for the different regions the business serves.
- Creating and maintaining long-lasting clientele relations by working with them hand in hand and understanding their needs
- Keeping up with industry trends and identifying emerging markets and market shifts.
- Maintaining cohesion between the sales department and the other departments within the company
- Provide sales, revenue and expenses reports and designing strategic business plans and forecasts through these reports.
Characteristics of a Great Sales Manager
A sales manager can effectively meet the above responsibilities if only they have;
Great Communication Skills
As noted, part of your responsibility includes presenting reports and creating realistic forecasts. All these activities involve interacting with staff from your team, other departments and even your manager.
Thus, whether you're the kind of person who likes getting their hands dirty and being part of your day to day sales operations or you prefer watching from the sidelines, your role as a sales manager involves a lot of interaction. That said, a great sales manager needs to have excellent communication skills.
Designing strategic sales plans, building and maintaining lasting relations with clients, setting sales targets, and motivating the sales teams is not easy. It needs a lot of commitment and takes up a lot of time. It, therefore, requires an individual who's passionate about success.
As stated, the role of sales manager involves overseeing system such as Salesforce and some other related tools. That said, it's vital to note that each team member is different from the other, and they all go through different phases. Thus, they need an empathetic leader with active listening skills and can display emotional intelligence based on what a team member might be going through.
Other characters of a Great Sales Manager Include:
- Positive attitude
- Adaptability, availability, and proactiveness.
- The ability to challenge and motivate growth
- Great delegation skills
- Confidence and loyalty
The position of a sales manager is both rewarding and fulfilling, but at the same time, can be quite overwhelming. It calls for an individual who's ready to commit and is passionate about success.